Do you care about tiers?

Discuss anything related to Tekken! Latest news, media, movies, merchandise and more! Please use the appropriate forums for specific gaming and character discussions.

Moderators: Azaael, Kane, YeezyDude

Shattered_Dreamer98

Re: Do you care about tiers?

Postby Shattered_Dreamer98 » February 10th, 2017, 10:04 am

Nope, tiers are irrelevant. It's how a character is used that matters, no matter how effective or weak their tools are.
"This is a great place to fight....don't you think??" :twisted:
Mama

Postby Mama » February 10th, 2017, 12:42 pm

I choose characters based on their appearance alone,I can't force myself to play any character because of how high their tier ranking is.
I'm a magic couch potato...SING TO ME!
Sanguinius

Postby Sanguinius » February 10th, 2017, 4:52 pm

Normally I take a look at tier lists, just to see which characters are stronger, depending on patches/fixes.

But I always play DJ/Kazuya, sometimes Jin. Tier lists do not affect which chars I play.
Fate

Postby Fate » February 13th, 2017, 2:50 pm

I don't care about tiers as long as the character seems viable. I've been planning to main Lucky Chloe who is generally low on tier lists, but unless I feel there's no way to win with her (or I find some other character is a better fit for me) I don't plan on switching.
Azaael
Modded Iron Fist
Modded Iron Fist

Postby Azaael » February 14th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Minimally.

I used to more, but I grew up in the old days where they actually DID matter. Like, the days of 3rd Strike where playing Q or something meant you did that out of a pure labour of love. Like, I played Alex and Remy, both low tier, so I totally had a pocket Yun on hand even though he wasn't much my bag, for when those Super Bad matchups showed up. (Usually I'd just stick with a main if it was 3.5/6.5 or above.)

There are some series nowadays where they still matter(Smash, NRS games tend to be kinda unbalanced), but many games are much more keyed where you can be a loyalist.

Now that being said, if I have the bad luck of falling for a character who is exceptionally bad, then I'll find someone decent to throw into a pocket just in case. But I don't *aim* for tier. I aim first for design and style and then if they happen to fall high or well viable, awesome, if I'm unlucky, I'll look into a pocket(if I even care about competing in said game, btw-if it's one of the fighters I play casually, I don't even bother of course.)

When I first started playing Drag, he was bad. Yeah, contrary to popular belief of those who think FR has OP characters(trust me when I say FR's top tier right now are *gentle* compared to the top tiers of the old days in games, FR's top tiers are NOT OP. Just very strong), some current top tiers spent time as bad. Bryan was one of the worst characters in the game in Tekken 3 for example(I played him a lot then too), Hwoarang has been mid tier his entire career practically until now, and was bottom 5 in DR, worked up to a nice solid high-mid A in 6, and finally moved to top in Tag 2 and beyond. But I stuck with him all the time since I liked the character.

So yeah really in short, they matter a little, if I'm competing in a game that's not as well balanced, but I don't pick my main based on them. At 'best' I'll use them to gauge one of my subs.
Tekken Retrospective: http://azaaell.tumblr.com/post/11088671 ... -all-links

Games: Tekken, GGXRD: R, many non fighting games as well. Sergei Dragunov devotee. Also into Lars, Lee, Kazuya, Hwoarang, Bryan.
PinkAaron

Postby PinkAaron » March 9th, 2017, 10:44 am

I don't play tier based, but in doing so sometimes you'll find playing different chars that are higher/lower tiered to your liking. Basically im saying sometimes you find you might like playing a different character from curiosity of tier placement.
Wolfie VII

Postby Wolfie VII » March 9th, 2017, 12:04 pm

Not particularly, I pick characters based on how much I enjoy playing as them or sometimes even just how cool or silly they look.
"We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"
PSN (PS3 & PS4!): xWolfie-kun | Twitter: @WolfieKun