What's your favourite Tekken game?

Discuss anything related to Tekken! Latest news, media, movies, merchandise and more! Please use the appropriate forums for specific gaming and character discussions.

Moderators: Azaael, Kane, YeezyDude

SpiraNick87

Re: What's your favourite Tekken game?

Postby SpiraNick87 » September 5th, 2016, 8:51 am

Wolfie VII wrote:Tekken 2. Enough said.

The first one I owned and has been my favourite to this day. The characters, the godly soundtrack, everything. Fun fact: The 'VS Devil' loading screen for the final stage scared me a bit when I was little. Still kinda gives me the creeps now! I think its the eyes haha! But I do like how Tekken 6 made a call back to that by having VS screens specifically for Jin and Azazel.

As I do say a lot, this is the game that got me invested in video game storylines, long before I got into games like Final Fantasy! The characters, music, and endings hold a special place in my heart.

I'd put TTT 1 and 2 as joint close second, purely for bringing back characters I missed so much, like Jun and Kunimitsu!
YES, YES & YES!!! to all of that!! I don't know if I'm a bit biased as it was the first Tekken game I played but no other Tekken has ever reached the heights that Tekken 2 did. There was an atmosphere to that game that just can't be explained. As soon as I played there was a feeling I got, an excitement I felt that has not been matched since. The game felt dark, it felt mysterious, it felt thrilling! From that epic intro I was absolutely hooked. Everything about this game was flawless. It was an experience like no other. Small details, like you mentioned such as the loading screens and awesome in your face title screen with the massive Tekken 2 logo and the old-school neon scrolling menu, even the character selection screen was an utter joy with the colourful clouds in the background for each character with that beautiful, whimsical music playing. Even the box art for the game fills me with such childhood nostalgic joy.

I'd never played a game that felt so emotionally involved. Each character had their own stage and soundtrack. When you were fighting, it felt serious, it felt like a fight to the the death, you were fighting on their territory. I was nervous and anxious for each fight. Each character came with a devastating array of moves and combos, the likes I had not seen in any fighting game before. Character specific stages gave the game so much more depth and they were taken from real world locations. I wish they would bring them back. The graphics for the time were stunning, there were lots of unlockables and secrets (who remembers sky mode, first person mode, the secret poses, the chilling Kazuya title screen and the bizarre way to unlock Roger/Alex. The game was very hard and unforgiving. It felt like you had actually achieved something. The thing however that stands out the most like you said and this proves that music can really make a game, the soundtrack. Oh my word, the soundtrack. It is the most perfect soundtrack to any game I have played to this date. Each track tells a story, each comes with such emotional depth and created an atmosphere an aura that has not been beaten since. The music to this day gives me chills. As I am typing this I am listening to the Tekken 2 soundtrack and I still get goosebumps listening to King, Yoshimitsu, Kazuya, Devil and Jun's soundtracks among many many others.

I could go on and on about how great this game is and the memories I will cherish forever. It sounds over the top and for those who didn't play it at the time, it really was something very very special.

Favourite Tekken Games in order:

Tekken 2 for overall gameplay, presentation, atmosphere and soundtrack.

Tekken 5 for it's in your face action and the back to form status. It also brought back many old favourite characters.

Tekken 3 for it's edgyness and wackyness.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for it's insane selection of characters and massive replay-ability. Four years on and still as stupidly addictive as ever.
Last edited by SpiraNick87 on September 5th, 2016, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lili Fan

Postby Lili Fan » September 5th, 2016, 9:05 am

SpiraNick87 wrote:YES, YES & YES!!! to all of that!! I don't know if I'm a bit biased as it was the first Tekken game I played but no other Tekken has ever reached the heights that Tekken 2 did. There was an atmosphere to that game that just can't be explained. As soon as I played there was a feeling I got, an excitement I felt that has not been matched since. The game felt dark, it felt mysterious, it felt thrilling! From that epic intro I was absolutely hooked. Everything about this game was flawless. It was an experience like no other. Small details, like you mentioned such as the loading screens and awesome in your face title screen with the massive Tekken 2 logo and the old-school neon scrolling menu, even the character selection screen was an utter joy with the colourful clouds in the background for each character with that beautiful, whimsical music playing. Even the box art for the game fills me with such childhood nostalgic joy.

I'd never played a game that felt so emotionally involved. Each character had their own stage and soundtrack. When you were fighting, it felt serious, it felt like a fight to the the death, you were fighting on their territory. I was nervous and anxious for each fight. Each character came with a devastating array of moves and combos, the likes I had not seen in any fighting game before. Character specific stages gave the game so much more depth and they were taken from real world locations. I wish they would bring them back. The graphics for the time were stunning, there were lots of unlockables and secrets (who remembers sky mode, first person mode, the secret poses, the chilling Kazuya title screen and the bizarre way to unlock Roger/Alex. The game was very hard and unforgiving. It felt like you had actually achieved something. The thing however that stands out the most like you said and this proves that music can really make a game, the soundtrack. Oh my word, the soundtrack. It is the most perfect soundtrack to any game I have played to this date. Each track tells a story, each comes with such emotional depth and created an atmosphere an aura that has not been beaten since. The music to this day gives me chills. As I am typing this I am listening to the Tekken 2 soundtrack and I still get goosebumps listening to King, Yoshimitsu, Kazuya, Devil and Jun's soundtracks among many many others.
Well, to be fair, my first Tekken game was Tekken 3. Since I liked Tekken 3 so much, I decided to check out Tekken 2 a couple months or so later. I had fun with Tekken 2 at the time, but today, I don't think it has aged very well, unlike Tekken 3.

Yeah, Tekken 2 is a pretty hard game, but that's yet another thing I like about the newer Tekken games over Tekken 2. I like having the option to have the fights easy and relaxing, or hard and challenging. I use all the difficulty options in the newer Tekken games like Tekken 5.
GTecHKeN

Postby GTecHKeN » September 29th, 2016, 1:02 pm

Tekken 2 got me into the series, and when 3 came out i was only playing that, and 4 was amazing but i was more into tag 2, but 5 on ps2 with the devil jin side game was my favorite at the time since it also gave me the my chance to play tekken 1. right now i play tag 2 often but i miss tekken 6. i think 6's force mode would have to make 6 my favorite. i was so upset when i traded it in for street fighter x tekken..
Lili Fan

Postby Lili Fan » September 30th, 2016, 1:21 am

GTecHKeN wrote:Tekken 2 got me into the series, and when 3 came out i was only playing that, and 4 was amazing but i was more into tag 2, but 5 on ps2 with the devil jin side game was my favorite at the time since it also gave me the my chance to play tekken 1. right now i play tag 2 often but i miss tekken 6. i think 6's force mode would have to make 6 my favorite. i was so upset when i traded it in for street fighter x tekken..
Why not get another copy of Tekken 6 then? You can get it for $20 new now, and even cheaper, if you go for a used copy.
Wolfie VII

Postby Wolfie VII » November 14th, 2016, 9:03 pm

Lili Fan wrote:
GTecHKeN wrote:Tekken 2 got me into the series, and when 3 came out i was only playing that, and 4 was amazing but i was more into tag 2, but 5 on ps2 with the devil jin side game was my favorite at the time since it also gave me the my chance to play tekken 1. right now i play tag 2 often but i miss tekken 6. i think 6's force mode would have to make 6 my favorite. i was so upset when i traded it in for street fighter x tekken..
Why not get another copy of Tekken 6 then? You can get it for $20 new now, and even cheaper, if you go for a used copy.
Yeah 6 is really easy/cheap to find now. I finally found a PS3 version not too long ago, got it used for £5. Hell, if you can even call it used, the disc had almost no marks on it!
"We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"
PSN (PS3 & PS4!): xWolfie-kun | Twitter: @WolfieKun
Naruto Uzumaki

Postby Naruto Uzumaki » December 11th, 2016, 8:57 am

ttt2 as its got the best online of all of them can play antime anywhere