Most underrated game in Tekken?

Discuss anything related to Tekken! Latest news, media, movies, merchandise and more! Please use the appropriate forums for specific gaming and character discussions.

Moderators: Azaael, Kane, YeezyDude

Godly Caboose

Most underrated game in Tekken?

Postby Godly Caboose » August 21st, 2016, 3:18 pm

Pretty simple question, which game do you think is underrated in the Tekken franchise?

For me, I'd agree with many that Tekken 4 is rather underrated. I don't think that it is one of the best in the series, but I do still see a lot of hate for it due to all that it changed. Maybe Tekken 3D Prime Edition as well; even though it sorely lacked features, I thought it was a good port to the 3DS with decent online connection when I played it. Wasted potential of course, but what there was played well in my experience.
Ryuhza

Re: Most underrated game in Tekken?

Postby Ryuhza » August 21st, 2016, 6:47 pm

I think Tekken 6 gets a lot more hate than it deserves. It has lousy load times and poor netcode, but the base gameplay is super solid and with better anti-aliasing and environment textures, the game would still look great today. Free color choice aside, customization is in near peak form, with wardrobes consisting of 90% unique outfits for each character that matches them personally, instead of random butterfly wings or throwable pizzas. Scenario campaign is a mixed bag, but again, that's not the core of the game. It's also got a pretty great soundtrack.

I do think Tekken 4 deserves a lot of praise for it's individual character stories and general atmosphere. Costumes, stage design, music, everything was on point except the gameplay.
Lili Fan

Postby Lili Fan » August 22nd, 2016, 10:58 pm

Tekken 4, Tekken 6 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 are all underrated. I feel that, to this day, people still don't give them enough credit.
Tamer

Postby Tamer » August 23rd, 2016, 2:29 am

4. Just feels people don't like it because that's what everyone says. The worst part about the game was Jin at high level play and since i doubt most people could even get to that level they hopped on the bandwagon and say it's the worst. The game felt too new and people are scared of that, maybe it was too early. Id like to see that type of game again given another shot now that Tekken has had time to evolve.

And i know no one asked for overrated but that goes to Tekken 2 or 3. My god those games are not that great anymore.
Main: Law
Others: Dragunov. Miguel, Kazuya,
Lili Fan

Postby Lili Fan » August 23rd, 2016, 3:23 am

Tamer wrote:And i know no one asked for overrated but that goes to Tekken 2 or 3. My god those games are not that great anymore.
I would agree with Tekken 2 being overrated. Tekken 2 was a fun game for it's time, but I would never put it over anything from Tekken 3 forward. I would only put Tekken 2 over Tekken 1. People are just being nostalgic.
hrvoje37

Postby hrvoje37 » September 3rd, 2016, 3:51 pm

Tekken 4. It tried something new, but, it was too ahead and different from the excellent Tekken 3 formula, and people just didn't adapt with it.
Lili Fan

Postby Lili Fan » September 3rd, 2016, 6:54 pm

To be fair, fans tend to be more forgiving towards Tekken 4 than they used to be. It still deserves more love and appreciation though.
SpiraNick87

Postby SpiraNick87 » September 5th, 2016, 8:08 am

Lili Fan wrote:To be fair, fans tend to be more forgiving towards Tekken 4 than they used to be. It still deserves more love and appreciation though.
It's not one of my favourites in terms of Tekken games but in terms of fighting games overall it's bloody fantastic. It could have done with a few more characters but I loved the grittier feel of the game and tone of the story line. Also really liked the stage designs. Mall, Shinjuku, Iron Arena, Beach, and that fancy building stage which played random Tekken 2 tunes in. Now that was freaking awesome!!!!
Lili Fan

Postby Lili Fan » November 25th, 2017, 7:04 pm

With Tekken 7 out now, and it getting all this undeserved bashing, I would now have to say that's the most underrated Tekken game. Beyond the lack of content and questionable business practices, it's a really good game. It's easily the best Tekken game, if we're only going by gameplay.
YeezyDude
Modded Iron Fist
Modded Iron Fist

Postby YeezyDude » November 27th, 2017, 1:13 pm

Lili Fan wrote:
August 22nd, 2016, 10:58 pm
Tekken 4, Tekken 6 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 are all underrated. I feel that, to this day, people still don't give them enough credit.
This 100 %.